What are advantages and disadvantages of using the interview method?
Any conversation that has been initiated with the purpose to acquire some requisite information can be considered as an interview. The person who initiates the conversation is referred to as the Interviewer and the individual who is questioned is known as the Interviewee. The conversation between any such two people should be free-flowing without any interference from an outside source. However, during such conversation, both the person should talk in a relevant manner without deviating from the chief purpose of the interview. This topic will provide a deep insight about the benefits and drawbacks of conducting interviews to obtain information.
The need for Interview Method:
The collection of data can be achieved in various ways. One such method of gathering information is termed as ‘Interview Method’. Interview method produces both qualitative and quantitative measures for the gathering of data. Interviews have an array of applications ranging from accurate predictions to interviewee’s performance for job for future etc. Interviews method offers an easy approach for procuring a favorable impression upon the interviewers, thus making a seat in the organization or in the job.
Interviews play a quintessential part to perform a detailed reasoning and understanding of any issue or information. It is also applicable for informative decision-making, and strategic planning of work, like in case of research essay. However, there are certain merits and demerits of interview method, whichare broadly described below.
Method for Interviews:
Interviews can be done verbally with the physical presence or it can achieve over the digital technology like telephones or over internet calling facilities’ like Skype or video chats. However, interviewer prefers to conduct the interview in the physical presence of the interviewee. This facilitates the perfect share of information.
The Merits of the Interview Method:
Some of the benefits of Interview method are enumerated as follows:
- Proper Adaptability –Interview method is quite effective when it comes in communicating personal opinions, perceptions and thoughts. It allows both the interviewer and the interviewee to share balanced opinions without creating any diversion in the communication channel.
- Rectification –Occurrence of any misinterpretation and miscommunication can be easily avoided, and rectified owing to the physical presence of both the interviewer and the candidate in front of each other.
- Build up of relationship –Physical presence can prompt the development of a cooperative relationship and mutual understanding between the interviewee and the interviewer thus encourages for maintaining a steady conversation.
- Additional Information are Obtained –Any additional detailed information is obtained in reference to any discussed content, with sharing of ideas about different fields of same context.
- Selection of Interviewee –Physical presence can be of immense help as it enhances the chances to select the particular candidate during any interview procedure.
- Gathering of primary data –Authentic, accurate data is obtained during the interview procedure, thereby helps to maintain the stock of primary data, which can be summoned when secondary data fails to offer necessary information.
- Saves time –Interview method is by far, turns out to be time saving procedure for collection of data. It bridges the communication gap, thus communication can be accomplished within a short instant of time.
- Inexpensive –Since the communication techniques like telephone, Skype chat are notemployed, therefore it prompts an easy, inexpensive means for communicating between two people.
- Clear the doubts– Interview method turns out to be a boon for paper writing service, as it explores different sectors, highlighting the same topic from different referential views, thereby ensures a strong standpoint for any discussed work, thus providing conclusive results.
- In-depth study –Interview method provides another noteworthy result as it allows both the interviewer and interviewee to ‘think outside the box’. It allows accumulating a vast array of ideas, thereby helps in formulating the accurate data for writing the paperwork.
- Solves extra cost –While investigation method calls the need to hire local agents and correspondents, it therefore adds an extra financial burden to the procedure of data collection. Interview method, does not require the need for the 3rdperson to bridge the communication barrier. Thus, it prevents the extra cash flow. In addition, it averts the growth of conflict between the agents, thereby curbing inconsistencies.
- Flexibility –Another advantage worth mentioning is the flexibility, which allows the situations to be analyzed and framed differently, thereby allows both the interviewer and interviewee to affiance over different topics.
The Drawbacks of Interview Method:
In spite of having several advantages over other data acquiring techniques, there are certain drawbacks, which stand to be a hindrance for interview method. Some of them are broadly discussed as:
- Time-consuming –An interview procedure can be conducted over a large span of time, especially in the case of interviewing any eye witnesses for cases like murders or any criminal acts, just to arrive at some conclusive data. Also, interpretations of the results can be conducted in several ways, thus making the method prolong.
- Biasing of judgment –Interview methods produce biased judgments owing to the decision of the interviewers and wrong information provided by the interviewee.
- Incomplete procedure –As the interview is conducted upon preferred candidates, therefore certain ideas misses out which widens communication gap.
- Improper skill of interviewer –Many interviewers lack cooperative and communicative skills owing which leads to failure for collecting of accurate data. This results in producing disingenuous and erroneous outcomes.
- No maintenance of record –Since the interview procedures are carried out verbally, therefore an accurate record of the verbal exchange is generally made. This sometimes, may tamper with the final evidence, thus producing erroneous data.
- Shyness –Interviewee often feel shy, uncomfortable when they are subjected to certain fields of talk. This can conclude with failed disappointed results. Thus, the subject of interview should be carefully chosen which may not harm the integrity of the candidate.
- Requires dedication –For conducting an interview, there should be cooperation between the interviewee and interviewer, so as to obtain the accurate information. This procedure requires patience, and conflicting situations needs to manage in an influential manner. Conflicts may be able to widen the communication barrier.
Thus from the above discussion, it is lucid that the interview method is, by far, one of the successive methods for accumulating records. Due to certain flaws, especially social cues, which can sometimes act as a hindrance to this system of data compilation.