What is a survey and how can it be conducted?
Another tool for acquiring information from any relevant sources is achieved by performing a self-administered questionnaire, which is referred by the term ‘Survey’. Generally, survey forms the path to seek answers for those questions which fail to produce satisfactory results from normal approach questioning sessions. Survey sessions can be monotonous, yet they are an important asset for procuring the right information. This article will provide a lucid outline for the steps required to perform a successful survey.
What is a Survey?
A survey is a tool for acquiring data to gather information from any individuals. Surveys are use to describe, compare, collect societal knowledge and formulate the results according to your criterion. A survey allows self-administrated data-collection without the aid of foreign source. Surveys are beneficial which allows one to implement their analysis with the hypothesis thereby producing fruitful results. A well-designed survey evokes the 3 questions:
- The foremost goal for survey
- The approach to perform the survey operation
- The conclusion that can be achieved from the survey results.
Thus, survey always focuses on the factual information or it focuses on obtaining evaluations from the survey takers.
Why a Survey is conducted?
Surveys are executed in order to achieve the answers to certain questions, which fail to provide satisfactory outcomes. Surveys are prepared for the following reasons, which are enlisted below as:
- Reveal the truth– Surveyors initiate a survey in a private environment in order to obtain a successful honest feedback, meaningful opinions for the questionnaires. Such surveys can be carried out over the digital media like telephone conversations, or through online survey through internet.
- Form new questions –Surveys allow the respondents to communicate with the surveyors in order to reveal the truth regarding any question. Research workers or academic writers are highly benefitted with the survey operations as it allows the surveyors to dig deeper into the discussion. It also paves a way to evoke new questions, which were overlooked before. A surveys operation thus allows the topic to be considered from a broader perspective.
- Formulate decisions –Surveys operations provide an extensive approach for executing decisions. They are conducted so as to formulate a set of unbiased verdict, depending upon which an analyzed result can be achieved. This provides flexibility for addressing the fundamental topics rather focusing on the irrelevant parts.
- Result Evaluation –After analyzing results, comparisons can be drawn between the hypothesized result and the formulated results. This enables the surveyors to establish the valuable result without any judgmental biasing. Feedbacks and opinions provided by the respondents are considered valuable as it draws a subtle line between their needs and demands about the surveyed topic.
How can a Survey be conducted?
Surveys can be formulated by interrelating many questions. A survey operation can be executed by considering the following steps:
- Defining the Field –The foremost step for carrying out a survey operation is to identify the field, from which positive and relevant values can be achieved. This helps in strategic decision making, and also presumes the relative cost for carrying out a survey operation. In addition, it chalks out the uncertain results that the survey will throw.
- Defining the Cost –An estimation of total budget is made, so that the survey work does not exceed the estimated expenditure. Most survey operations are not economical as it consists of the following expenditure – the cost for creating the survey platform, the cost for spreading the news for the survey, the cost for inviting the respondents to take active participations, and the final cost for calculation of data followed by the strategic analysis.
- Formulating the project –The survey is framed along with the cost and effectiveness of the survey. A general hypothesis is made in order to calculate the time for the respondents to participate, data analysis and producing the results. This has to be done in comparison to the orthodox method for survey, so as to procure a better result. Another thing that needed to identify is the bridge the communication gap between the surveyors and the respondents. Advertising agencies comes to foreplay by spreading the word through website advertisements. An effective benefit can be achieved if the respondents are provided with some rewards. Surveys are done for paper writing services in order to obtain information about the choices of the public. This produces a rapid answer.
- Formulating a survey question –Generally, a series of unbiased, authentic questions are devised which can be answered by any cosmopolitan.
- Choosing Audience –The audience can be reached by the advertisements. Now, a crucial choice is need to be done in filtering the audience who matches with the criteria to respond for the survey projects. The analyzed result needed to formulated correctly in order to obtain satisfactory outcomes. The greater accuracy level invokes more positive outcomes. So, only those respondents who show higher response rates for participation are preferred for the survey.
- Determining the goal and deadline –Once the questionnaires have been framed and the respondents have been shortlisted, the internal resources required to carry out the survey is framed out. Then a definitive timeline is evaluated which would be necessary to continue the survey operation. This helps to conclude the survey operation on time, and helps to commence the specific tasks of the survey within a deadline. Thus, a strategic survey plan can be initiated.
The Pros and Cons of Survey Work:
Survey proves to be the most promising system for gathering information without producing any judgmental biasing. However, there lie certain benefits and drawbacks in survey strategies. Some of the benefits of survey are listed as:
- Surveys benefits for accumulating an array of data within a short span of time.
- Surveys are beneficial for research works as they are economical as compared to other strategies for data collection.
- Surveys can be administered with ease.
However, there lie certain disadvantages, which are as follows:
- Response rate can be biased as many respondents are shy to reveal their actual feelings.
- Poorer response rate as many respondents do not find the suitable answers available in the options list. This happens mostly in the case of online survey.
- Poorer administrative skills of the surveyors resulting in expanding the span of time, and thus increasing the expenditure cost.
Thus, the above article provides a lucid layout for the steps that needed to be fulfilled in order to complete a survey successfully.